Dr. Mario Cabral
Lecturer/Professor, Universidade Nacional Timor-Lorosa'e (UNTL), Department of Fisheries & Marine Science
Mario Marques Cabral is currently a Ph.D. Student for Project Management with Specialization in Ocean Governance and Management since January 2018 at Atlantic International University (Hawaii-USA), graduated his Master degree in Environmental Science with Specialization in Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) of Gadjah Mada University (Yogyakarta-Indonesia, 2003), and bachelor degree in Marine Science of Diponegoro University (Semarang-Indonesia, 1999). He has been working in Marine Conservation and Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) with more than 15 years of professional work.
The most recent work experiences:
1) Volunteer Contributor to the Ocean Best Practices System (OBPS) Newsletter “Good, Better, Best” as regional representative for Timor-Leste and the broader of Indo-Pacific Regions (February 2021 to date);
2) Member of UNTL’s team for baseline/biophysical and socio-economic assessment for developing a coastal management strategy for Posto Administrativo Barique of Municipio Manatuto, Timor-Leste (December 2020 to date);
3) Member of UNTL’s team for Survey on mangrove zonation, macrobenthos biodiversity, and community perception of ecosystem-based livelihoods and cultural aspects of mangrove conservation in Bobonaro, Dili, Liquiça Municipalities (December 2020 to date);
4) Consultant for Benthic Habitat Survey, Mapping, and Analysis to the project of upgrading and expanding the Presidente Nicolau Lobato International Airport (October 2020 to February 2021) in collaboraion with Cardno and Conservation International Timor-Leste;
5) Island Innovation Ambassador for Timor-Leste (March 2020 to date). Volunteer at <> during the process of Virtual Islands Summit: Sharing Knowledge for Resilient, Sustainable and Prosperous Islands Worldwide;
6) Team Leader for the MABIK-UNTL Joint Marine Bio-resources Research Center (MURC) – (December 2019 to date). This joint research was co-organized by Universidade Nacional Timor Lorosa’e (UNTL) and Marine Biodiversity Institute of Korea (MABIK);
7) Member of UNTL’s team for Consultation and Development of GEF Project Document (IKAN Adapt) for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (November 2019 to June 2020). The main activities were to support the Project Preparation Grant (PPG) phase of Global Environment Facility (GEF) for 3 components: a) capacity building in policy development; b) Climate change adaptation actions for fisheries, aquaculture, and biodiversity conservation, MPA/LMMA (Marine Protected Areas/Locally Marine Areas), and gender issues; and c) sharing information and communication;
8) Marine Arctic Peace Sanctuary (MAPS) Ambassador for Timor-Leste (October 2019 to date);
9) National Project Advisor for the Indonesian Seas Large Marine Ecosystem-ISLME (July to December 2018);
10) Project Coordinator for Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA) Scaling up Project in Timor-Leste (February 2016 to December 2020); and
11) Lecturer at Universidade Nacional Timor Lorosa’e (UNTL), Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Fisheries and Marine Science.